13.8.13

MINI BANANA BREAD BITES


I make so many different variations of banana bread that its ridiculous. Gluten free, vegan, bread, loaf, muffins, with walnuts, without walnuts... You name it i make it, and I make it on a regular basis.
Normally I opt for a gluten free, vegan version. I suppose that's something stemming from my anorexia. If I'm going to eat something like this then it should be as clean and healthy as possible. 
One day I'll post that recipe, but not today. Today is a day to break away from clean eating (you need those days every now and again). Plus I've promised a friend banana bread and almond flour is off the menu. 
It's funny because before I had Dylan I couldn't think of anything worse than fruit breads or cakes, I wouldn't even have a blueberry muffin (recipe coming soon)! Now I literally cannot get enough. So to start off my random and sporadic meals and baking posts have my very normal, very yummy banana bread bites.

Ingredients
- 285g/10oz plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 110g/4oz butter, plus extra for greasing
- 225g/8oz caster sugar
- 2 free-range eggs
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 85ml/3fl oz buttermilk (or normal milk mixed with 1½ tsp lemon juice or vinegar)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
2. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a large mixing bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
4. Add the eggs, mashed bananas, buttermilk and vanilla extract to the butter and sugar mixture and mix well. Fold in the flour mixture.
5. Grease a 20cm x 20cm square cake tin and pour the mixture in evenly.
6. Transfer to the oven and bake for about an hour, or until well-risen and golden-brown.
7. Remove from the oven and cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before cutting into bite sizes portions and serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment