21.3.16

WHAT IS CEREBRAL PALSY DIPLEGIA ANYWAY?

Trying to understand Isla's diagnosis was pretty challenging at first, especially as her neurologist didn't actually mention that diplegia is a form of cerebral palsy. So that was a shock when we wound up on Google to do a bit of research.
Mostly I think I understand things now, at least the how it happened and a vague and general idea of what Isla's development and mobility will be like ish.
Trying to explain to Dylan proved to be a lot harder than I had anticipated, we ended up having quite a deep conversation about how, if Isla's brain was a bit hurt was it not hurting? And was I sure it wasn't hurting? Which if I'm honest sent me into a mild panic because those are questions I cannot answer because the answers we've had thus far go sort of like this "maybe", "I don't know", "we can't tell", "it's possible", "blah blah blah".
So I'm trying something new, something simple and factual that hopefully captures the imagination enough for the information to sink in.
I made a comic.
I was going to call it Diplegia for Dummies but decided against that last minute so for now it's just the answer to the question: What is cerebral palsy diplegia anyway?
















No comments:

Post a Comment